- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably natural
- 2 14-ounce cans “lite” coconut milk (about 3½ cups), divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Put cocoa in a medium bowl and whisk in enough coconut milk (about ⅔ cup) to make a smooth paste. Stir in vanilla.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually whisk in the remaining coconut milk. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, until the mixture begins to barely simmer around the edges. Then, stirring constantly and scraping the sides and corners of the pan to prevent scorching, let the mixture simmer for 2½ to 3 minutes to fully cook the cornstarch. Scrape the hot mixture into the bowl with the cocoa mixture. Whisk until well blended. Let cool, undisturbed, for about 45 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours.
- Pour the gelato mixture into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
Serving size: ½ cup
Per serving: 186 calories; 7 g fat(5 g sat); 2 g fiber; 30 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein;