- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- ⅔ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds for garnish
- 6 mint sprigs for garnish
- To prepare compote: Mix 2 tablespoons sugar with 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a small saucepan. Add pomegranate seeds, pomegranate juice and lemon juice; stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring, until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate while you prepare the pudding.
- To prepare pudding: Combine milk and half-and-half in a medium heavy saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean (or add vanilla extract). Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg, egg yolk, ⅓ cup sugar and 1½ tablespoons cornstarch in a medium bowl. Reheat the milk mixture just until steaming. Carefully whisk one-third of the steaming milk into the egg mixture. Pour the egg-milk mixture back into the pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until very thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in butter.
- To prepare parfaits: Divide the pomegranate compote among six 6-ounce ( ¾ cup) parfait glasses, ramekins or other small dessert cups. Spoon the pudding mixture over the compote. Cover and refrigerate until the pudding is well chilled and firm, at least 3 hours. To serve, garnish each parfait with pomegranate seeds and a mint sprig, if desired.
Per serving: 209 calories; 8 g fat(4 g sat); 1 g fiber; 31 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein;