- 1 large egg
- 2¼ cups nonfat or low-fat milk, divided
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly beat egg with a fork in a medium bowl. Combine 1½ cups milk, ⅓ cup sugar and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ⅓ cup sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining ¾ cup milk until blended. Whisk the simmering milk mixture into the cocoa mixture.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk about 1 cup of the hot cocoa mixture into the beaten egg.
- Return the egg mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until steaming and thickened, about 2 minutes. (Do not boil.) Whisk in vanilla. Serve warm.
Per serving: 164 calories; 2 g fat(1 g sat); 4 g fiber; 35 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein;